Total time: 1 hr
Servings: 2 dozens
1/8 cup hulled sunflower, pumpkin seeds
1/4 cup flax seeds
2 cups organic whole-wheat flour
3/4 tsp salt
2 tbs honey
2 1/2 tbs vegetable oil
1. Ground hulled sunflower, pumpkin seeds in blender or coffee grinder (don't blend too long or they'll turn into seed butter)
2. In mixing bowl, combine all seeds, flour, salt, honey & vegetable oil with 3/4 cup water. Mix to form a firm ball of dough (should not be sticky)
3. On lightly floured surface, knead dough by hand for about 30 seconds until slightly tacky but not sticky. Add more flour or water if needed.
4. Heat oven to 300 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Divide dough in halves. Roll out dough on floured surface with rolling pin. Dust more flour on top of dough so it doesn't stick & flip over to continue rolling until nearly paper thin. Roll out second half the same way.
5. Place rolled dough carefully on baking sheets. Use a knife or pizza cutter to cut rolled dough into squares.
6. Beat egg & brush it over crackers, top with more flax seeds. Place baking sheets in oven and bake for 10 min. Rotate sheets and bake for another 10 min. Bake until they're done or rich golden brown (25-30 min).
7. Let them cool. If they don't snap cleanly after they cool, return to oven for a few more min.
Adapted from L.A. Times Food article