Saturday, October 4, 2008

Cook for a Healthy Life

Here are some simple tips for cooking smarter and increase the disease-fighting power of every meal. Cooked tomatoes and tomato based pasta sauce contain more lycopen, a powerful antioxidant. An easy way is to bake tomatoes, then add them to salads, sandwiches and pastas. Roasted omega-3 rich fish like wild salmon tastes great and is good for us. Pair leafy greens with healthy fat like olive oil, nuts or avocado. This increases our absorption of disease-fighting compounds called cartenoids. Crushing garlic cloves activates the heart protecting compounds. Steaming broccoli or cauliflower can reduce cancer risk. (Modified from Cook Like Your Life Depends on It! by Sharon Palmer, RD).

When I cook, I get to be creative, to try out new recipes and new combination of ingredients. I know exactly what is in my food and can flavor it to my taste. I use fresh, healthy ingredients and save money as well as time since all my recipes take about 30 minutes and I save over $100 per month by eating at home.

Ingrid Cheng
Healthy Cook
http://holistichealthco-op.org/
http://healthycook.ning.com/

No comments: