1. Look for the mini-spinach pies and stuffed mushrooms. Thin, crispy sheets of phyllo are much lower in fat than heavy pie crusts and biscuit doughs. Mushrooms are also low-calorie carriers for savory fillings.
2. Cosy up to a hot drink. Hot cider is a delicious seasonal treat and you'll tend to drink hot, spiced drinks more slowly. Fewer refills means fewer calories.
3. Fill up on vegetables. Snack on fresh vegetables. A spot of dip is fine but don't overdo it.
4. Go for the protein. Lean protein will help curb your appetite for more dangerous fare.
5. Crack some nuts. Pick up the nutcracker and shell a couple of walnuts or almonds.
6. Have some candy. When the desserts come out, grab a candy cane (60 calories) or chocolate truffle (40 calories) to savor and take a pass on the cookies.